Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Linux Fun on Android

It's 2ferWon day! I'm catching up on things I've been stashing away to blog about.

I recently got the python bug due to a request at my main client site. This led me to idly wonder if I could run python on my Android phone. Turns out you can do so, and more.

Thanks to an amazingly cool App, UserLAnd, you can in fact run Linux and hence a bunch of cool tools, including easily working with python, on your very own smart phone or Android tablet.

Once you install UserLAnd, you can pick a shell distribution: Arch, Kali, Debian, Ubuntu and a few others. I chose Debian due to my familiarity with it from past years trying out various linux distros. You set it up by creating a user and password and a VNC password.

Once signed into a user session, you can sudo whatever you like. In my case, I started off by installing python3 and python-pip as well as a host of other libraries Jermaine to the request I had from my client.

If you're a geek like me with an Android device and you're looking to kill a little time, I encourage you to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment